Frequently Asked Questions
1. What does the Northeast PTA do?
The Northeast PTA is a very active community of parents/caregivers and staff, working hard to build and promote our community of students, families and staff. See the PTA Programs page for a rundown of the programs that are organized by PTA volunteers.
2. How do I join?
You can join online here, or print and complete a membership form and submit payment by cash or check to "Northeast PTA" to the front office of the school.
3. How does the PTA fund it all?
The PTA funds its programs primarily from fundraising efforts by our PTA volunteers and from annual membership dues. The PTA receives no money from school taxes, local, state or federal government.
4. Can I donate money to our PTA?
Yes and the donation is eligible for a deduction on your federal income taxes! You are welcome to ask the PTA Treasurer for a receipt of your donation if you need one for your records.
5. Does my family need to join the PTA for us to participate in PTA-sponsored events?
No. PTA-sponsored events are open to the Northeast Elementary School community and do not require PTA membership.
6. Do I need to join the PTA to volunteer for PTA activities?
No. We welcome and appreciate all volunteers whether they are officially PTA members or not.
7. If I join the PTA, will I be required to volunteer?
No, there is absolutely no obligation to volunteer. We can always use help, but we understand about busy lives and family priorities.
8. If I don’t need to join the PTA to participate in PTA activities, why should I join the PTA officially?
For a just a small payment, PTA membership shows your support for an organization that provides valuable services to your child and your child’s school. Membership provides important funding for PTA-sponsored events, and allows you to have a vote in PTA business such as electing officers and the PTA operating budget.
9. I’d like to volunteer, what can I do that will fit into my schedule?
Thank you for asking about volunteering! Volunteer requests are sent throughout the year via the listserv, the Howl (PTA newsletter), or the Facebook group page. If you are especially interested in a specific volunteer opportunity, please feel free to contact the coordinator directly. Here are some suggestions for volunteer opportunities:
- Sell books at the book fair
- Sell concessions at a movie night
- Supervise the kids in the Halloween Parade.
- Help for 1-2 hours at the Bike Rodeo
- Work one or two hour-long shifts at the Carnival by selling tickets, serving food, or running a game
- Set up, serve, or clean up at the Staff Appreciation Luncheon
- Take attendance for Enrichment classes once a week for 6 weeks and your child’s class fee will be waived.
- Help with ice skating or ski club for 8 weeks
- Be a coach for one of the basketball teams
- Staff Appreciation Week
- International Night
- Help with the Carnival
- Organize Picture Day
- Help organize the Book Fair
- Run the Family Portrait Fundraiser
I work during the day, are there volunteer opportunities in the evenings and weekends?
- Coach basketball – one hour in the evening and one hour on the weekend
- Volunteer to help at the family portrait fundraiser held in the evening or on the weekend
- Work tickets and concessions at Movie Night
- Volunteer for a shift at Winterfest (a weekend day in early December)
- Help at Carnival (one evening in June)
- Be one of the organizers for Enrichment, Winterfest, International Night or Carnival.
President: Emily Workman, firstname.lastname@example.org
Vice President: Alyssa Mack, email@example.com
Secretary: Xinwei Wu, firstname.lastname@example.org
Treasurer: Jingbi Zhao, email@example.com
Nominating: Abby Thomas
Membership: Yael Zucker