Northeast Elementary School
425 Winthrop Drive,
Ithaca, NY 14850
Liddy Coyle, Principal
Main Office: 257-2121
School Fax: 257-8157
Kids Count: 257-9400
Stay Informed by Joining the Northeast PTA Listserv!
To join, click on the link, northeastpta-subscribe@
yahoogroups.com, and type "Please add me to the PTA listserv." in the subject line, mention your child's name and grade in the body, and the administrator will add your email address to our list.
The Questions: (please scroll down for the answers)
- What does the Northeast PTA do?
- How do I join?
- How does the PTA fund it all?
- Can I donate money to our PTA and is it tax deductible?
- Does my family need to join the PTA for us to participate in PTA-sponsored events?
- Do I need to join the PTA to volunteer for PTA activities?
- If I join the PTA, will I be required to volunteer?
- If I don’t need to join the PTA to participate in PTA activities, why should I join the PTA officially?
- I’d like to volunteer, what can I do that will fit into my schedule?
- How do I sign up to volunteer for the PTA?
- What is the Northeast PTA Yahoo Group (Listserv)?
- A list of Programs and Events Sponsored by the Northeast PTA
- A list of Volunteer Opportunities for the Northeast PTA
If after reading this, we still haven’t answered your question, we have a more detailed FAQ available for download. You should also feel free to email one of the PTA officers with your questions. They are listed on the contact page.
1. What does the Northeast PTA do?
The Northeast PTA is a very active community of parents/caregivers and staff, working hard to build and promote our community of students, families and staff. In addition, our PTA organizes, funds, and/or contributes to these Northeast programs and more: After-school enrichment classes, All-school spring Carnival, Scholastic book fairs, Movie nights, Ice skating, International Night, Picture Day, School year book, School directory, Northeast Link (school newsletter), Staff appreciation activities, summer Kindergarten playground days, Back-to-school and end-of-year picnics, Grants to teachers for educational activities.
2. How do I join?
There are PTA membership forms available on the PTA bulletin board in the front lobby and as a downloadable pdf on the PTA website, www.northeastpta.com. You can send the completed form with payment to the school marked “Attn: NE PTA.” The PTA will also have representatives accepting membership forms and payments at the Northeast Open House, Curriculum Nights, Welcome Back Picnic, and all PTA meetings.
3. How does the PTA fund it all?
The PTA funds its programs primarily from fundraising efforts by our PTA volunteers and from PTA dues. The PTA receives no money from school taxes, local, state or federal government.
4. Can I donate money to our PTA?
Yes and the donation is eligible for a deduction on your federal income taxes. For donations that are below $75, your cancelled check will serve as the receipt but you are welcome to ask for a receipt from the treasurer. For donations that are $75 and above, the treasurer will send you acknowledgement of your donation. Your membership fee is not eligible for a tax deduction.
5. Does my family need to join the PTA for us to participate in PTA-sponsored events?
No. PTA-sponsored events are open to the Northeast Elementary School community and do not require PTA membership.
6. Do I need to join the PTA to volunteer for PTA activities?
No. We welcome and appreciate all volunteers whether they are official PTA members or not.
7. If I join the PTA, will I be required to volunteer?
No, there is absolutely no obligation to volunteer. We can always use help, but we understand about busy lives and family priorities.
8. If I don’t need to join the PTA to participate in PTA activities, why should I join the PTA officially?
For a just a small payment, PTA membership shows your support for an organization that provides valuable services to your child and your child’s school. Membership provides important funding for PTA-sponsored events, and allows you to have a vote in PTA business such as electing officers and voting on the PTA operating budget.
9. I’d like to volunteer, what can I do that will fit into my schedule?
Thank you for asking about volunteering! We have sign-up sheets at the beginning of the year where you can sign up for different committees and events. Volunteer requests are also sent throughout the year via email and flyers. Here are some suggestions for volunteer opportunities:
● I can spare two or three hours occasionally
- Sell books at the Scholastic book fair. Shifts can be 1 ½ hours or 2 ¾ hours long (fall and spring).
- Sell concessions at Movie Night. These happen throughout the year.
- Spend 2 hours preparing kids for their photo on Picture Day in September.
- Supervise the kids in the Halloween Parade.
- Help for 1-2 hours at the Bike Rodeo (June)
- Work a 2 hour shift at Carnival by selling tickets, serving food, or running a game (June)
- Set up, serve, or clean up at the Staff Luncheon (May)
- Volunteer for 20-30 minutes/week to collect deposits for the NE Credit Union. Need not be every week.
● I can spare one or two hours a week regularly
- Take attendance for Enrichment classes once a week for 6 weeks and your child’s class fee will be waived.
- Run the 5th grade camera club for 1 hour a week throughout the year
- Help with ice skating or ski club for 8 weeks
- Be a coach for one of the basketball teams
● I can spare 10 to 20 hours total in the spring or fall.
- Help organize the Halloween Parade
- Be a committee member to help with the Staff Appreciation Luncheon
- Be a committee member to help with International Night
- Be a committee member to help with the Spring Carnival
- Organize Picture Day (Fall)
- Join the Scholastic Book Fair committee
- Run the Family Portrait Fundraiser
● I work during the day, are there volunteer opportunities in the evenings and weekends?
- Coach basketball – one hour in the evening and one hour on the weekend
- Help with the PTA website
- Manage the PTA listserv
- Volunteer to help at the family portrait fundraiser held in the evening or on the weekend
- Work tickets and concessions at Movie Night
- Help at Carnival (one evening in June)
- Be one of the organizers for International Night or Carnival.
Program leaders will request volunteers for these positions on the Northeast Yahoo Group (Listserv) or in the Northeast Link (PTA newsletter) throughout the year. If you are especially interested in a specific volunteer opportunity, please feel free to contact the organizer (name can be found in the School Directory) directly.
10. How do I sign up to volunteer for the PTA?
Some of the volunteer opportunities have sign-ups at the first PTA meeting, but usually organizers send volunteer requests via the Northeast Yahoo Group (Listserv) or in the Northeast Link (PTA newsletter). Organizers may be coordinating large numbers of volunteers, so please don’t worry if you don’t get an immediate response. If you are especially interested in a specific volunteer opportunity, please feel free to contact the organizer (in School Directory) directly.
11. What is the Northeast PTA Yahoo Group (Listserv)?
The PTA Yahoo Group is an online community for families of Northeast Elementary students to receive emails with school information and updates as well as a forum to discuss issues related to the school. The principal often sends information and news on the Yahoo Group forum.
To join, send an email to NortheastPTAemail@example.com.
Programs and Events Sponsored by the PTA PDF
Volunteer Opportunities at Northeast Elementary School PDF